What is the rarest of all of the McCulloch saws?

No ad's or money talk, just fun!
Tom Hawkins
Collector Forum's Finest

What is the rarest of all of the McCulloch saws?

Post by Tom Hawkins » Feb 26th, '06, 21:52

I would like to know which saw do you guy's consider to be the rarest of all that yellow breed? Tom

Woodsman
Collector Forum's Finest
Country, City, Area: Finland.

Post by Woodsman » Feb 26th, '06, 22:19

I think it?s BP-1 !

Magnus
Administrator
Country, City, Area: Sweden, Kristianstad

Post by Magnus » Feb 26th, '06, 22:21

A good Eager Beaver!

Nah..

Le sabre or BP1....
Post your saws in the models library. More saws makes better library!
If you need help to post please ask, I will happily help.

Tom Hawkins
Collector Forum's Finest

Post by Tom Hawkins » Feb 26th, '06, 22:34

Woodsman, I agree that the BP-1 is by far without a doubt one of the most collectable, it was a milestone saw. It is said that production of the BP-1 totaled appox. 33,000 units. And then a recall by McCulloch, saw the destruction of some 13,000 plus of the great saws! Who knows how many could be left! Yes, the LeSabre another possiblity! Tom

Al Smith
Collector Forum's Finest

Post by Al Smith » Feb 26th, '06, 22:54

I have only heard of a few BP-1s' in running condition.It has a very unique carb,with a zillion check valves and passages that seems to give those restoring them ,fits.

With the BP-1,most likely the LaSabre and some of the real old gear drves,such as the 73,47,99,would be hard to find.In addition the 650 geardrive is an odd ball.I have one,Mike Aces and McBob also but I know of no others .

The least rare would likely be the 10-10 ,250 and PM 610.The made a bunch of them and I don't think you can kill a 250 unless you run straight gasoline in them.Tough old buzzards.

Marshall Trover
Collector Forum's Finest

Rarest Mac

Post by Marshall Trover » Feb 27th, '06, 00:50

Don't forget the McCulloch model 49. They were only made for a couple months for large logging operators like Weyerhaeuser. My model 49 is serial number 1001. I will try to find some production numbers on the 49.
Marshall Trover

Tom Hawkins
Collector Forum's Finest

Post by Tom Hawkins » Feb 27th, '06, 01:02

Hello Marshall, The model: 49 now there's another very hard to find saw, I've only seen two! They were made back in 1957 and were produced for only about two months. I'd say that one's got to be right up there! I can think of a few more for that list. What do you think guy's? Tom
Last edited by Tom Hawkins on Jun 14th, '09, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.

smokechaser

Post by smokechaser » Feb 27th, '06, 02:03

What about the early model 3-25. it was only in production for 6 months.

Tom Hawkins
Collector Forum's Finest

Post by Tom Hawkins » Feb 27th, '06, 02:15

Hi Marshall, I did not know that the 49 was build for logging companies. Wow and you have 1001 such a low number it could be the 1st one!!!Tom

Tom Hawkins
Collector Forum's Finest

Post by Tom Hawkins » Feb 27th, '06, 02:21

Hello Smokechaser, The famous 3-25 two button now that's a great one, I don't much about it, can someone add more details about this saw. it is rare yellow bird. Is that a fact, was it only made for six months? Tom
Last edited by Tom Hawkins on Feb 27th, '06, 02:31, edited 1 time in total.

Al Smith
Collector Forum's Finest

Post by Al Smith » Feb 27th, '06, 02:24

I just looked up model 49 on my micros.It appears to be the same as a model 77,from what I can figure out.It looks like it has one of those carbs that are a real sweetheart to work on.

I wonder if those things were as contrary as the model 73.I ran my uncles big old noisey 73,when I was a teenager but couldn't get that old duffer started if my life depended on it,when it was cold.He didn't have any problem with it.Go figure.

smokechaser

Post by smokechaser » Feb 27th, '06, 03:07

Mikes site has it down as six months.

Wayne Sutton
Collector Forum's Finest
Country, City, Area: United States

Post by Wayne Sutton » Feb 27th, '06, 03:51

I would say that the LaSabre or the 49 are the most unusual. The BP-1 is a very desirable unit but not that unusual to see. Almost every shop in that day saved one or two because they were such an inovative saw.
I have never seen any numbers on the LaSabre but it must have been made in very small numbers. I have had my antena up for a 49 for many years and just recently got my first one. And, if they were built for special pro users then most of them were wore out and destroyed within a couple of years.

The debate continues......
Wayne Sutton aka Sharpsaws
Wayne's Chainsaw Museum
PO Box 1
Amboy, Washington 98601

mcbob
Collector Forum's Finest
Country, City, Area: Down under

Post by mcbob » Feb 27th, '06, 06:30

The D-33, I could be wrong and Mike Acres might know different, but i think that would have been the last model built in Canada before Mac migrated south to sunny California can't blame them really as frostbite would be hard to handle.

I would love a BP-1 but i doubt if that chance will ever come my way.

Where's Santa when you need him most ??? Desdawg you didn't shoot him on his way deep south did ya???

Mc Bob.
Truely a man of many colours "Mc Bob", "Atomic Bob", Mc "Bender" Bob, Mc "Whiz" Bob, "Herr" Bob and "Whatever" Bob.

Thats why you should own a Mac first.
McBob .. 1949 and still kicking.

Old Mac Guy
Dr. Pignon

Post by Old Mac Guy » Feb 27th, '06, 06:47

OK, gang,....... I'll weigh in on this one, although I want to first say that I am by no remote idea anywhere near an expert on any of McCullouch's saws, not even the 3-25's, which I first used for a few months in the Orygun woods in 1970-71 (until I could earn enough money to buy a new 10-10) and have owned and used since 1986. I defer to the education and experience of several other members of this forum who unquestionably know a lot more about Mac saws than I.

That said, I nominate the:

Model 39.

Who's got one??

Even though it had a 27-28 month production run, I've never seen one nor heard of anyone who has one (which don't mean much.... there's lots of Mac saws I've never seen).

Second, Model 45...... who's got one of those??

Third, the Model 49. Another Mac I've never seen nor even heard of someone having.

And, of course, the early 3-25 (tho I've seen two... count 'em 2....) of them offered for sale within the past couple of months.

Still around but not real common, the D-30, and D-36.

It's not uncommon to see 47's and later model 3-25's for sale. The 73's seem to be rarer.

An old logger in Baker, Oregon told me one time about 1971 that MCCulloch made some chainsaws when he was in Wisconsin, before moving to Los Angeles. I've never seen one nor even heard of one, except for what that guy told me when our "Hoedads" thinnin' crew was working and camped out in the Umatilla forest. The present-day McCulloch Corp. website has a blurb which says:

"McCulloch was founded in 1943 by Robert McCulloch in Milwaukee, Wisconsin under the original name of McCulloch Motors Corporation. The company specialized in small two-stroke engines. In 1946, Bob McCulloch moved the company to California, where the first McCulloch chain saw, the 5-49, was manufactured in 1948." Note that Mike's site says the 5-49 was manufactured from March 1949 to June 1952 and the 12-25 from 1948 to 1949. I think the 12-25 did precede the 5-49, which just tells us that the current McCulloch Corp isn't very clear on early Mac history (much less manufacturing, design, sales, distribution and service!).

I got teased a lot by the other Hoedad's when I was luggin' that borrowed monster 3-25 around the hills back in 1970-71. ("Who made your chainsaw -- Adam??") But based on what the old guy who loaned it to me told me back then, I've had for many years now, tucked in the back of my alleged mind the idea that there may be some old saws somewhere around Wisconsin that Mac made.... or at least the engines.... The "mythical Mac's". They may have never existed.

Marshall, if you can find productions numbers for the different models of Mac saws, I'd really love to get copies of the information for my early McCulloch library collection (1948 - 1965, tho I'm now starting to gather manuals and IPL's into the 70's and 80's)....

But production numbers (tho I'd like to have them for reference) will not tell us how many of a particular model are in existence today. Yes, the BP-1 was "withdrawn" from the market. But I've seen one in person in Colorado Springs. And parts for the BP-1 are frequently offered for sale.

Until someone shows me two of them side-by-side, I say Model 39, and Model 45.

I'd love to get a Model 39.

Old Mac Guy