Chainsaw Collectors.se

Chainsaw Collectors.se

This is a international forum in Eng.

It is currently Aug 27th, '14, 11:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Need info on 10 cube Stihl 090 Barrel and piston
PostPosted: Feb 23rd, '09, 02:20 
Collector Forum's Finest

So this 159cc 090 was only the early edition ones like in the pic? This is neat to learn. Wonder how many years where they made or the numbers made?

Thanks for bringing the thread back up and here to think I almost bought a newer 090 137cc and past on a contra lighting because it was 106cc.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Feb 23rd, '09, 19:52 
Collector Forum's Finest

Wayne Sutton wrote:
Yep, there are some 10 cube 90's around. I have heard a variety of stories explaining their existence.
I have one that I bought in a box. It had came from Australia and the owner said that about 10-12 were distributed in the US and about the same number in Australia. They were all sucked up by the racers and so the results of the "test" were not sufficient to support full production.
In other accounts I have heard that STIHL did not have anything to do with them and that they are a mule created by the racing boys.

They have a removable head and the transfer ports align with the channels that are in the bottom end of all 090's. That alignment tells me that they are real and some part of the STIHL testing and development. I would guess that the reason it did not end up as a standard item is that with a piston of that diameter it is real easy to stick an engine from over speed. And, as everyone knows, most end users like to lean out their saws and get every thing out of them that they can.

I'll get a picture of the one that I have and post it. It looks just like a normal 090 except the compression release is in a different location.

Wayne-

Story I got from two men that you're familiar with, Ron Marriott and Roger Wright, was that the ten-cube saws were a limited production by Stihl as a result of input from fallers and loggers working with Stihl engineers in the field circa 1970-1973. They wanted a Stihl that could compete with the hopped-up Macs. Ron went to Stihl Germany in 1973 and again in 1974 and worked directly with the engineers helping in the design of both the ten-cube saws and a stronger crankcase for 137cc saws. Ron brought one of the ten-cubes back with him and four of the redesigned 137cc saws with the bigger crankcase that had six cylinder base screws. The ten-cube saw is in Roger's personal collection now and the four prototype 137cc saws went into use for logging and timber falling. Two were smashed flat by big trees going over backwards and Roger still has one of the prototypes. The other survivor went to a private collection in Eureka, Ca. Knowing both these men, I would say the information is good and correct.

PostPosted: Feb 23rd, '09, 21:28 
Collector Forum's Finest

That is very interesting....I think I had heard that story before too. It would be very nice to discover a six bolt cylinder out there on one of the proto types

Amboy, Washington 98601

PostPosted: Feb 26th, '09, 09:32 

I think there is a 10 cube 090 on ebay.com.au at the moment. It has the decompressor button in the same place as Waynes saw. Could it be so? do a search on stihl 090av in ebay.com.au and see for yourself

cheers
matt

PostPosted: Feb 26th, '09, 23:27 
Collector Forum's Finest

thechemist wrote:
I think there is a 10 cube 090 on ebay.com.au at the moment. It has the decompressor button in the same place as Waynes saw. Could it be so? do a search on stihl 090av in ebay.com.au and see for yourself

cheers
matt

That sure does look remarkably similar to Wayne's....I'd hate to think someone was selling a ten-cube 090 without really knowing what it was...

PostPosted: Mar 3rd, '09, 07:34 
Collector Forum's Finest

It's nice to see a picture and know that some legends are based in reality. :goodjob:

PostPosted: May 14th, '09, 15:04 

Hi!
I live in Italy and I love big stihl chainsaws. I've got a contra and a contra S (with new cylinder and piston kit!!!!!!!!!)
Now my project is to assemble a 10 cubic inch stihl 090 hotsaw (with big carburator and competition pipe, polished crankcase and conrod, and, maybe longer stroke).

Is this 10 cubic inch kit avaiable somewhere?
On the contrary I'll built it by myself starting from an old 090 cylinder and new bigger piston.
But to do this I absolutely need some info:
Has somebody any further information about stihl 090 10 cubic inch cylinder and piston (draws, pictures, photo, size, measurement)?
Can somebody give me bore and stroke of such a kit (I think 70 mm bore x 40 mm stroke but I',m not sure....) and compression rate????
Also a little further information will be like gold for my project!!!!!
I'll send photos of this new monster....

Thanks
Marco

PostPosted: May 14th, '09, 15:27 
Collector Forum's Finest

Hello Marco, and welcome to the forum!
I can't help you with the jumbo 090 but hope you'll finish the project!

Enjoy,
Stefan

PostPosted: May 14th, '09, 22:50 

thank you!!!
Soon I'll post pictures of my contras...
Bye

PostPosted: May 15th, '09, 06:02 
Collector Forum's Finest

It would be interesting to see a 10ci jug and piston off a saw.

Bill

PostPosted: Jun 9th, '09, 18:50 
Collector Forum's Finest

I think these pics from 2007 are of the inside of Wayne's saw when dean was redoing it.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Jun 10th, '09, 06:33 
Collector Forum's Finest

Those are nice pics

PostPosted: Aug 6th, '09, 08:10 

Thank you very much for the pictures about the 10 cu inch cylinder!!!!!
Have you got pictures of the inner part of the cylinder (showing ports)?
Is the bore 70 mm?

Thanks,
Marco

PostPosted: Aug 6th, '09, 21:40 
Collector Forum's Finest

I think these 10 cube Stihl 090 are quit rare, Wayne has right some thing about it somewhere on this forum.

There are not many around.

Marco(SuperDolmar from the Netherlands)

PostPosted: Aug 7th, '09, 09:37 

Hi!
I've measured the bore from the pictures of Wyne's 090 saw (scaling down and using bolts as reference).
The result is about 66 mm bore. Can anybody confirm this?
Stihl contra S and stihl 090 has the same bore and stroke (66 mm bore, 40 mm stroke), and cylinder is quite the same (only small differences in the cooling shape and presence of decompression valve in 090).
If it is, as I think, this "race 090" chainsaw is probably 137 cc. not 164 (10 cu inches).
Moreover there are some difficulties in fitting a 70 mm bore cylinder (70 mm bore x 40 mm stroke = 164 cc.) in 090 crankcase: the cylinder basement is only 74 mm bore and so it need to be oversized to fit such a cylinder.
Another way will be to raise the stroke: the crankshaft can be modified to raise the stroke from 40 to about 42 mm: the displacement will be 143,6 cc. and you need to raise the cylinder (with 1 mm. gasket); in this way you'll have also raised ports=more power and high rotation...
May beI'll try to tune an original 090 (42 mm stroke, porting, tuned pipe,bigger carburator...) in the future...I'll inform you all!!!

Marco

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next