Jonsereds Raket XF Question and Info Sharing Thread

No ad's or money talk, just fun!
bulletpruf
Collector Forum's Finest
Country, City, Area: Naples, Italy

Re: Jonsereds Raket XF Question and Info Sharing Thread

Post by bulletpruf » Sep 5th, '17, 09:14

Just thought of something - since Magnus has been kind enough to track serial numbers for the XF's, we could try to associate ages/dates of the saws with some of the different configurations. Obviously, since the serial number is on the recoil housing and that's easily swapped, it's not foolproof. But it's a start...

If you can add any information here, please feel free.

50033 XF cgl-46 MUFFLER: TOP COVER: HANDLE:

50517 XF Torpan MUFFLER: TOP COVER: HANDLE:

50571 XF bulletpruf MUFFLER: ALUMINUM TOP COVER: HANDLE:

50964 XF Facebookpic MUFFLER: ALUMINUM TOP COVER: SIDE HOLE ONLY HANDLE: BLACK, NO BENDS

51636 XF bulletpruf MUFFLER: ALUMINUM TOP COVER: HANDLE:

52602 XF bulletpruf MUFFLER: ALUMINUM TOP COVER: HANDLE:

52814 XF Baumstark MUFFLER: TOP COVER: HANDLE:

53041 XF Magnus MUFFLER: TOP COVER: HANDLE:

55042 XF bulletpruf MUFFLER: ALUMINUM TOP COVER: HANDLE:

56037 XF PointingR MUFFLER: ALUMINUM TOP COVER: ONE HOLE TOP MIDDLE HANDLE: BLACK WITH BEND

56096 XF bulletpruf MUFFLER: ALUMINUM TOP COVER: HANDLE:

57727 XF Magnus MUFFLER: ALUMINUM TOP COVER: ONE HOLE TOP MIDDLE HANDLE: Grey with bend

58640 XF bulletpruf MUFFLER: ALUMINUM TOP COVER: HANDLE:

59670 XF Magnus MUFFLER: ALUMINUM TOP COVER: ONE HOLE TOP MIDDLE HANDLE: Black no bend

59764 XF Kärrabol MUFFLER: TOP COVER: HANDLE:

61367 XF (Elfving Jupiter II) Magnus MUFFLER: ALUMINUM TOP COVER: ONE HOLE TOP MIDDLE HANDLE: Black no bend

64397 XF dutchsawdocter MUFFLER: ALUMINUM TOP COVER: ONE HOLE TOP MIDDLE HANDLE: BLACK WITH BEND

69971 XF Sales ad MUFFLER: TOP COVER: HANDLE:

73196 XF dutchsawdocter MUFFLER: ALUMINUM TOP COVER: ONE HOLE TOP MIDDLE HANDLE: BLACK WITH BEND

74993 XF Wood MUFFLER: SHEETMETAL TOP COVER: ONE HOLE - TOP MIDDLE HANDLE: BLACK WITH BEND

Magnus
Administrator
Country, City, Area: Sweden, Kristianstad

Post by Magnus » Sep 5th, '17, 13:41

Not all is here in pics, but most of them I think we could find if we search.
Some is with link in list, but not all. Many is in library some there not in list, I guess.

This with names here would be a lot easier if the names was used in registration.
Its easily changed if so desired.
Post your saws in the models library. More saws makes better library!
If you need help to post please ask, I will happily help.

Magnus
Administrator

Post by Magnus » Sep 5th, '17, 13:50

I added mine
I think I have more, I must look..

bulletpruf
Collector Forum's Finest

Post by bulletpruf » Sep 7th, '17, 06:09

Magnus/All -

My XF owner's manual is dated December 1960, maybe the first edition? Anyway, the XF pictured has the ignition wire going through the side of the top cover. That would indicate this is the earliest configuration, which confirms our thoughts here.

It also has the black handle with no bend. One thing that I need to look at - are there three different sizes/lengths of handles? I have one handle with no bend that looks larger than the others. I'm wondering if the early saws had the larger no-bend handle, then they went to the handle with bend, and then a smaller handle with no bend. I'll have to do some measuring.

And it has the cast aluminum muffler, too. I am wondering if the muffler was something that changed with time (later saws had the stamped steel muffler) or maybe it was an option? The Contra's from that same era came with either an aluminum or stamped steel muffler, so maybe it was an option?

Thanks,

Scott
IMG_0130.JPG
IMG_0131.JPG

Magnus
Administrator

Post by Magnus » Sep 7th, '17, 07:32

All I have seen here has casted mufflers.

Here is my Manuals. From left in pic, printed '61,' 61 and '63.
CIMG4150.JPG
Shop manual is from '62.
CIMG4151.JPG
CIMG4152.JPG

Magnus
Administrator

Post by Magnus » Sep 7th, '17, 07:39

Magnus
Administrator

Post by Magnus » Sep 7th, '17, 07:45

This with manuals and pics is often tricky.
They are supposed to be ready at same time as saw is to go to sales and its not easy to take pics of something still in the making.
Often its older saws used, it can be very miss guiding.

Memory play trix on us as well. Looked thru notes and found a conversation with a old Jonsereds employee.
He said to me then the grey handle was first, then black. I never asked about the square ones. or failed to write it down.

My cut away is grey handle, no number

bulletpruf
Collector Forum's Finest

Post by bulletpruf » Sep 7th, '17, 07:52

Magnus -

As always, thanks for the info. I saved copies of the manuals and pictures in the library. That's awesome that you have a shop manual; please let me know if you ever run across one that might be for sale!

Scott

bulletpruf
Collector Forum's Finest

Post by bulletpruf » Oct 30th, '17, 07:41

So I spent some quality time with the XF's yesterday.

Some general findings:

-These saws seem to be exceptionally well made and durable. Of the 7 that I checked, all but 1 had spark, I think. And all had good compression. And all those with spark ran when primed.

-Compression was good across the board, but I was expecting it to be a bit higher. For example, my Jonsereds 80 has 235 psi compression. All 7 that I checked had between 130 and 150 psi. I do have two compression gauges, and they read within a few psi of each other. I'm also pulling numerous times -- until the gauge doesn't move any more.

-As you can see from the picture, only one of my saws has the stamped metal muffler. The rest are aluminum.

-The handles on my saws all black with no bend, except for two - one black with bend and one gray with bend; too bad that the saws that I have with bends in the handles don't have serial numbers. However, based on the data that we have, it seems clear that all the earlier saws had handles with no bends. Earliest saw that has a bend is 56037.
Untitled1.jpg
-The top covers are obviously easily swapped, but it appears that the earlier saws have the spark plug wire coming out of the side with the small center hole. I think that changed to the side hole + large middle hole. And then I'm thinking the last version was the large middle hole only. Again, since these are easily swapped, this is an educated guess.

-I edited the information below as well.

50033 XF cgl-46 MUFFLER: TOP COVER: HANDLE:

50517 XF Torpan MUFFLER: TOP COVER: Side hole + Large middle HANDLE: Black, no bend.

50571 XF bulletpruf MUFFLER: Aluminum TOP COVER: Side hole + large middle HANDLE: Black, no bend.

50964 XF Facebookpic MUFFLER: ALUMINUM TOP COVER: SIDE HOLE ONLY HANDLE: BLACK, NO BENDS

51636 XF bulletpruf MUFFLER: ALUMINUM TOP COVER: Side hole + large middle HANDLE: Black no bends.

52602 XF bulletpruf MUFFLER: ALUMINUM TOP COVER: Large middle only HANDLE: Black no bends

52814 XF Baumstark MUFFLER: TOP COVER: HANDLE:

53041 XF Magnus MUFFLER: TOP COVER: HANDLE:

55042 XF bulletpruf MUFFLER: ALUMINUM TOP COVER: Side + large middle HANDLE: Black, no bends

56037 XF PointingR MUFFLER: ALUMINUM TOP COVER: ONE HOLE TOP MIDDLE HANDLE: BLACK WITH BEND

56096 XF bulletpruf MUFFLER: ALUMINUM TOP COVER: One large hole top middle HANDLE: Black no bend.

57727 XF Magnus MUFFLER: ALUMINUM TOP COVER: ONE HOLE TOP MIDDLE HANDLE: Grey with bend

58640 XF bulletpruf MUFFLER: ALUMINUM TOP COVER: Large hole top middle HANDLE: Black no bend.

59670 XF Magnus MUFFLER: ALUMINUM TOP COVER: ONE HOLE TOP MIDDLE HANDLE: Black no bend

59764 XF Kärrabol MUFFLER: TOP COVER: HANDLE:

61367 XF (Elfving Jupiter II) Magnus MUFFLER: ALUMINUM TOP COVER: ONE HOLE TOP MIDDLE HANDLE: Black no bend

64397 XF dutchsawdocter MUFFLER: ALUMINUM TOP COVER: ONE HOLE TOP MIDDLE HANDLE: BLACK WITH BEND

69971 XF Sales ad MUFFLER: TOP COVER: HANDLE:

73196 XF dutchsawdocter MUFFLER: ALUMINUM TOP COVER: ONE HOLE TOP MIDDLE HANDLE: BLACK WITH BEND

74993 XF Wood MUFFLER: SHEETMETAL TOP COVER: ONE HOLE - TOP MIDDLE HANDLE: BLACK WITH BEND