Partner 500 ignition

No ad's or money talk, just fun!
Modifiedmark
Collector Forum's Finest
Country, City, Area: USA

Partner 500 ignition

Post by Modifiedmark » Aug 24th, '17, 13:34

I got two black Partner 500 saws the other day. One has a silver tag marked 1982 and a 4 number serial number. The other is missing the tag.

I got a surprise when inspecting it to find a Partner marked Rifa ign module mounted on top the tank near the carb. A 500 with a Ignitron ign? I pulled the recoil and found a blue coil instead of the normal black coil.

So the question i have is, did the 500 ever come from the factory with a Ignitron ign? The oldest 500 ipl i have is 1983 and it shows the normal one piece ign

Magnus
Administrator
Country, City, Area: Sweden, Kristianstad

Re: Partner 500 ignition

Post by Magnus » Aug 24th, '17, 19:45

Yes. The earlier 500/5000 had this.
'80-'81-'82 IPL show it. Later '82 was without.
All is replaceble with the coil after without Ignitron.
Post your saws in the models library. More saws makes better library!
If you need help to post please ask, I will happily help.

Modifiedmark
Collector Forum's Finest
Country, City, Area: USA

Post by Modifiedmark » Aug 25th, '17, 01:11

Thanks Magnus, it all looked factory but this must be the oldest one that I have now, and since the serial number tag is missing this would tell that this one is 82 or older.

I could tell right away that it looked like the one piece coil would be a direct swap. Now I know on the later Husky saws that the blue coils are mostly rev limited to 13,500 RPM and the Green ones were like 10,000 RPM so am I correct to assume the blue Ignitron coil would be a rev limited coil? I guess I will find out when I go through this one and get it running.

Is there a older 500 IPL posted here someplace? I would like to have a pre 83 version as that is the oldest I have.

Magnus
Administrator

Post by Magnus » Aug 25th, '17, 06:40

Magnus
Administrator

Post by Magnus » Aug 25th, '17, 06:48

Modifiedmark wrote:
Aug 25th, '17, 01:11

I could tell right away that it looked like the one piece coil would be a direct swap. Now I know on the later Husky saws that the blue coils are mostly rev limited to 13,500 RPM and the Green ones were like 10,000 RPM so am I correct to assume the blue Ignitron coil would be a rev limited coil? I guess I will find out when I go through this one and get it running.
I don't think color was a factor then (or now unless you stick to same mfg). There is blue and black ignition coils. Red too I think...
There was few limited saws as ignitions was not all that good compared to later. No ignition curve per say or floating/adapted curve. It was a ignition with fixed timing just as it had points, but without points.
Later saws have sort of a ignition curve and somewhat adapted curve.

Saws from 2005 and up can have adapted timing set by rpm and a curve to follow.

Saws today don't have a fixed point. Its floating setting depending on throttle position and rpm. They have a curve to follow, but can adapt it to current needs.