Partner R11

No ad's or money talk, just fun!
bulletpruf
Collector Forum's Finest
Country, City, Area: Naples, Italy

Partner R11

Post by bulletpruf » Jun 19th, '17, 09:18

All -

I started working on my Partner R11's yesterday. Serial numbers 40712 and 60240. Both are mostly complete, but they have obviously seen a lot of use.

I have a few questions and comments -

-The fan was glued to the flywheel. When I used a puller on the fan, it pulled it free from the flywheel. What type of puller do you use to remove the flywheel? It is threaded for three small bolts, but I don't have a puller set up for that. Any recommendation on what adhesive to use to re-attach the fan to the flywheel?

-I want to remove the flywheel so I can split the case. I did not do a vacuum test, but the seals are in really bad condition. I can't imagine they are still good.

-Compression was very, very low on the 40712; the piston looks fine as does what I can see of the cylinder, but the rings appear to be rusting. Hopefully I can find new rings; if not, maybe the old ones will clean up.

-Which brings me to my next question - is there a source of new parts? I need the following - head gaskets, intake gaskets, case gaskets, fuel tank gaskets, carburetor kits, crank seals, oil fittings with formed oil lines, throttle and throttle spring, clutch, and oil caps. I did a search on one of the auction sites, but did not find anything.

Thanks,

Scott

http://chainsawcollectors.se/phpbb3/vie ... 45#p225845

Modifiedmark
Collector Forum's Finest
Country, City, Area: USA

Re: Partner R11

Post by Modifiedmark » Jun 19th, '17, 14:09

I have not worked on the R11 but I'm assuming the crank and flywheel setup is the same as on a R12 which I have worked on so let me say tread with caution here. The end of that crank is dainty and should not but subjected to a puller on the end of it, for it can be damaged easily. You need a sleeve to fit over the the end of the crankshaft and set down on the shoulder of the crank to use the puller on it. Of course the original Partner tool is not available so I had to make my own tool and it entailed lathe work.

I don't know what a person would use to reattach the fan to the flywheel.

As to parts, you already know most of the answers to that question. Good luck finding NOS stuff for them, someone with a parts saw will probably be the best option, and at least the R11 seemed to be a popular saw.

If your going to work on old saws, just be prepared to make your own replacement gaskets, thats just part of the deal.

Carb kits should be easy, my R12 used a common RK-88HL Tillotson kit. Crank seals are probably easy too, most Partners used standard metric size seals. The R12 used 14x25x7 seals on the flywheel side and 25x35x7 seals on the clutch side. R11 might be the same? You can just measure them up when you pull them to be sure. Rings can be matched up by size and obtained from many sources.

fossil
Country, City, Area: Canada

Post by fossil » Jun 19th, '17, 15:10

Bearing in mind what Mark said. I generally use something like this to pull stuff with three holes. The cheapest one you could find would do.

Maybe a piece of hardwood on the end of the crankshaft. Put a bit of tension on and use a dowel or other piece of wood and a hammer to lightly smack the outer edge of the flywheel, (don't hit the magnets) until it pops loose.

As far as the fan goes, I'm not sure what kind of plastic the fan is made from. It would likely be nylon.
If so, they do make adhesives that bond nylon. I think Loctite has one.

I might be tempted to drill and tap the flywheel for some fine thread #6 or #8 machine screws to hold the fan on if the flywheel it's beefy enough.
Attachments
puller 2.jpeg
puller 2.jpeg (21.71 KiB) Viewed 278 times
puller.jpg
puller.jpg (3.41 KiB) Viewed 278 times
Tim

Magnus
Administrator
Country, City, Area: Sweden, Kristianstad

Post by Magnus » Jun 19th, '17, 16:39

Puller look like this:
CIMG4053.JPG
No hits on crank, it will break, bend or get hurt.
Just put tension in, give it a knock and of it go.
I don't remember gluing any fans, I just push them on.
Post your saws in the models library. More saws makes better library!
If you need help to post please ask, I will happily help.

Magnus
Administrator

Post by Magnus » Jun 19th, '17, 16:47

Seal. Most seals are with measurements on them.
Paper gaskets are not hard to make. Its used every were except in cylinder top and cylinder outlet.
Rings should not be hard to find, its nothing spectacular.
Oil lines is four with a bit hose between each two.
The ones going under muffler is piped all way thru so hose won't melt.

I have lots of parts for these, new and used, but will need help sort it thru.
Write a list of the parts you need, send it to me I get help to find the stuff.

bulletpruf
Collector Forum's Finest

Post by bulletpruf » Jun 19th, '17, 20:14

Modifiedmark wrote:I have not worked on the R11 but I'm assuming the crank and flywheel setup is the same as on a R12 which I have worked on so let me say tread with caution here. The end of that crank is dainty and should not but subjected to a puller on the end of it, for it can be damaged easily. You need a sleeve to fit over the the end of the crankshaft and set down on the shoulder of the crank to use the puller on it. Of course the original Partner tool is not available so I had to make my own tool and it entailed lathe work.

I don't know what a person would use to reattach the fan to the flywheel.

As to parts, you already know most of the answers to that question. Good luck finding NOS stuff for them, someone with a parts saw will probably be the best option, and at least the R11 seemed to be a popular saw.

If your going to work on old saws, just be prepared to make your own replacement gaskets, thats just part of the deal.

Carb kits should be easy, my R12 used a common RK-88HL Tillotson kit. Crank seals are probably easy too, most Partners used standard metric size seals. The R12 used 14x25x7 seals on the flywheel side and 25x35x7 seals on the clutch side. R11 might be the same? You can just measure them up when you pull them to be sure. Rings can be matched up by size and obtained from many sources.
Thanks, Mark. Glad to hear the seals are common and available.

Saw a post here about making gaskets from regular paper, which was a new one for me. Looks easy enough, but if I can find OEM gaskets, that would be my first choice.

I did some initial looking for a carb kit today with no luck. I'll try again.

Scott

bulletpruf
Collector Forum's Finest

Post by bulletpruf » Jun 19th, '17, 20:17

fossil wrote:Bearing in mind what Mark said. I generally use something like this to pull stuff with three holes. The cheapest one you could find would do.

Maybe a piece of hardwood on the end of the crankshaft. Put a bit of tension on and use a dowel or other piece of wood and a hammer to lightly smack the outer edge of the flywheel, (don't hit the magnets) until it pops loose.

As far as the fan goes, I'm not sure what kind of plastic the fan is made from. It would likely be nylon.
If so, they do make adhesives that bond nylon. I think Loctite has one.

I might be tempted to drill and tap the flywheel for some fine thread #6 or #8 machine screws to hold the fan on if the flywheel it's beefy enough.
Tim -

Thanks for posting pics of the pullers. I may have something here that will work. I have at least half a dozen different pullers, maybe more; just need to dig through what I have. The one I was using was a handy adjustable puller that I picked up at a flea market in Budapest several weeks ago.

Fan is metal - aluminum or magnesium, I guess. But good point on drilling and tapping it. That would definitely be more secure than some sort of adhesive.

Thanks

Scott

bulletpruf
Collector Forum's Finest

Post by bulletpruf » Jun 19th, '17, 20:20

Magnus wrote:Puller look like this:
Thanks for posting the picture, Magnus. Would be easy enough to make one with a lathe, but you could also get creative with a drill press and a welder, too.

Scott

bulletpruf
Collector Forum's Finest

Post by bulletpruf » Jun 19th, '17, 20:22

Magnus wrote:Seal. Most seals are with measurements on them.
Paper gaskets are not hard to make. Its used every were except in cylinder top and cylinder outlet.
Rings should not be hard to find, its nothing spectacular.
Oil lines is four with a bit hose between each two.
The ones going under muffler is piped all way thru so hose won't melt.

I have lots of parts for these, new and used, but will need help sort it thru.
Write a list of the parts you need, send it to me I get help to find the stuff.
Magnus -

I found a few cylinder head gaskets today on one of the auctions sites. I was also able to pick up a few sprocket/drum/rim setups.

I have oil lines on the pistol grip saw; I just haven't taken a close look at them.

I'll send you a list of parts.

Thanks!

Scott

fossil
Country, City, Area: Canada

Post by fossil » Jun 19th, '17, 21:41

Scott,

Tillotson still sells the RK-88-HL kit.

http://tillotson.ie/product/rk88hl-repair-kit/

If you are looking to find one in Italy they have some dealers you could check with.
In the link above, there's a section on dealers.
Tim

Modifiedmark
Collector Forum's Finest

Post by Modifiedmark » Jun 20th, '17, 04:41

CIMG4053.JPG
Do you have the sleeve that fits inside of that puller that fits over the end of the crank? I would like to see if the one I made is close to the one I seen in the manual..

bulletpruf
Collector Forum's Finest

Post by bulletpruf » Jun 20th, '17, 05:38

fossil wrote:Scott,

Tillotson still sells the RK-88-HL kit.

http://tillotson.ie/product/rk88hl-repair-kit/

If you are looking to find one in Italy they have some dealers you could check with.
In the link above, there's a section on dealers.
Tim -

According to Magnus's post on the R11 model thread, my saws should have the HL-67, which takes a different kit, from what I can tell.

I found a single kit online labeled "RK-67 HL" - I bought it. Hopefully this is the correct one.

Thanks,

Scott

Modifiedmark
Collector Forum's Finest

Post by Modifiedmark » Jun 20th, '17, 13:33

The Tillotson listing for HL kits that I have only go back to the HL 108 or so carbs. That said, every non Stihl HL carb that I have done older then what is listed I used a RK88HL kit on.

The HL kits are basically the same other then the different needle and seats used over the years, and the 88 kit used a forked lever for the needle instead of the flat top needle and flat lever used in the old carbs and is a better setup. As long as you used the matched parts that come in the kit your good to go.

bulletpruf
Collector Forum's Finest

Post by bulletpruf » Jun 20th, '17, 13:51

Modifiedmark wrote:The Tillotson listing for HL kits that I have only go back to the HL 108 or so carbs. That said, every non Stihl HL carb that I have done older then what is listed I used a RK88HL kit on.

The HL kits are basically the same other then the different needle and seats used over the years, and the 88 kit used a forked lever for the needle instead of the flat top needle and flat lever used in the old carbs and is a better setup. As long as you used the matched parts that come in the kit your good to go.
Mark -

Excellent information. I'll get a few of these ordered.

Thanks!

Scott

Magnus
Administrator

Post by Magnus » Jun 20th, '17, 17:29

Modifiedmark wrote:
CIMG4053.JPG
Do you have the sleeve that fits inside of that puller that fits over the end of the crank? I would like to see if the one I made is close to the one I seen in the manual..
Yes. I have it. I never use it. I will see if I find it in box.