Figuring Out Homelite Serial Numbers

No ad's or money talk, just fun!
Old Mac Guy
Dr. Pignon

Re: Figuring Out Homelite Serial Numbers

Post by Old Mac Guy » May 26th, '17, 13:44

undee70ss wrote:How clear is your page (saws from 2/21/76 - 9/27/76) ? Mine, one column is a little blurry.
Using Joyce's pagination, on the back side of page 13 (2/21/76 - 9-27-76), which I think would be page 27 in the pdf copy, the original printed copy came from a printer running out of black ink... column one on that page is not blurry, it's sharp, but faded from poor ink impression. Column two on that page is sharp, brisk and with good black ink.

BUT!!... Discussions about the technical aspects of how to make pdf copies, read them clearly with an OCR scanner, enter that data into a spreadsheet, sift and sort that data in different possibly useful ways... DO NOT FURTHER THE PURPOSE OF THIS THREAD. If people want to discuss the technical aspects of data gathering, sorting and manipulation, I think it should be done somewhere else.

Here, we want to talk about Figuring Out Homelite Serial Numbers.
The Sales List from Wilson's Saw Shop can be a very valuable tool in this discussion.
But I think the best way to use that list here is with jpg copies of a particular page, dates, saw models and serial numbers, posted into this thread as illustration so anyone reading the thread can see what we're talking about right here in the discussion, is the best way to go.

Using a paintbox editor of the jpg scan to highlight certain entries on the pages is good also. It pinpoints the particular entries under discussion.

Let's try to keep the discussion here focused on Homelite chainsaws and their serial numbers, not computers, spreadsheets and data manipulation.

threetoes
Country, City, Area: Redding CA

Post by threetoes » Jun 13th, '17, 02:35

That was interesting about the serial numbers. How does that format fit my Homelite chain "buz" saw with a number of A 4098567?

Old Mac Guy
Dr. Pignon

Post by Old Mac Guy » Jun 13th, '17, 07:32

The Homelite BUZ was introduced in 1959 and discontinued in 1961, according to Mike Acre's site: http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/e ... enDocument
So that would make it 57 or 58 years old. As we note several times earlier here in this thread, there's no way to pin down exact date of manufacture on the 7-digit SN's.

You said elsewhere that the SN for your BUZ is A 1098567, now you said that it's A 4098567... whichever it is... (and I think it's most likely 1098567)... I guesstimate that it was made in the Spring of 1961.

Wilson's Saw Shop sold # 1087530, a BUZ, on April 29, 1961 and they had about a 40-day time lag in those years between when they sold a saw from the date of manufacture in Port Chester, NY, which would put that # 1087530 saw's made-on date sometime in February-March 1961.

Wilson's sold their last BUZ, # 1087532, on June 30, 1961 and didn't sell any more BUZ's during the rest of 1961 and all of 1962, 1963, 1964... so you can figure that your # 1098567 was made sometime in the Spring of 1961.

By later on in 1961, Homelite had discontinued the manufacturing of BUZ's and introduced other newer and presumably better chainsaw models and the BUZ saws began the slow process of becoming a part of "Chainsaw History", those ones which survived.

They were originally painted blue or red or, I think, one other color, but I've seen some of the survivors today re-painted over the years in all kinds of colors. I've got a red one and a blue one but don't know their cereal numbers, offhand.

threetoes
Country, City, Area: Redding CA

Post by threetoes » Jun 15th, '17, 05:40

I must have made typo when you read the 4098567. The correct number has a A followed by 1098567. I had to lift the chain guard a little with a screwdriver to see the last number. I am considering on donating this saw to Fort Crook Museum here in Fall River Mills Ca. We have 12 exhibit buildings including one which was one of the "portable " cabin that ended up in Pondosa where there was a thriving saw mill complete with its own little community in its time. Check out the site for Fort Crook Museum and you will see the Pondosa cabin. It houses a few old saws and logging equipment and pics from our local history. Thanks for the information. Perhaps I will try and take some pics of the saws we have there.

Magnus
Administrator
Country, City, Area: Sweden, Kristianstad

Post by Magnus » Jun 15th, '17, 06:35

This is a saw that there is a few of. Its one of the first attempts to make a saw a bit cheaper to fit the smaller wallets and still perform pretty well. Its not a saw that gives any lengthy story's about but its a Homelite and vintage so it is part of history and should be well taken care of.
Most of us here that are collectors agree that any saw should be saved from dump or the big metal eater at recycling plant.

To donate a saw for preservation is a good thing. It helps ensure a place for a part of history. I think that is a good thing and wish more would think this.

Please snap a couple pic's of it and post in Models library. I happily help if needed.

General spec's: http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/e ... enDocument
Models Library: http://chainsawcollectors.se/phpbb3/vie ... f=24&t=871
Post your saws in the models library. More saws makes better library!
If you need help to post please ask, I will happily help.