Vintage Hornet Chainsaw

No ad's or money talk, just fun!
prazerm
Country, City, Area: USA

Vintage Hornet Chainsaw

Post by prazerm » Jun 29th, '11, 23:31

I finally found a Hornet. I am one of DJ Smith’s Great Grandsons. I have been somewhat actively pursuing a Hornet for a couple years. Well I finally got my hands on one. Though it does look like it sat in the barn for the better part of 60 years it is still very exciting to me and my 8 year old son. I will be taking it to share with my Grandfather who worked on the assembly line for his Dad making these saws. I hope it brings back some great memories.
I am attaching some pictures of the saw and would like your input on restoring it. I don’t think I have the “know how” to get it running, if it is even possible, but I am pretty good at cosmetic repair. I simply want to preserve it for as long as possible and possibly give it a coat of paint and polish some things up. Any tips or advice would be great. As you can see the chain is missing….Still looking.
Lastly I found this acquisition has sparked a fire that has me looking for more. I would like to get one of each saw he made and charge my son to keep them in the family as long as possible. And as long as we don’t tell my wife…….I may have just sparked an interest in chainsaw collecting in general.
Thanks for your comments or tips
Matt
Attachments
DSC00200.JPG
DSC00201.JPG

tribulation138
Collector Forum's Finest
Country, City, Area: Usa

Re: Vintage Hornet Chainsaw

Post by tribulation138 » Jun 30th, '11, 00:29

welcome to the sight. collecting old saws are addicting. every saw has its own history. nothing like diving into a 40, 50 or even 60 year old saw and getting it running.
I own metal saws
1971 homelite xl-400
1973 homelite sxl auto
1978 homelite xl-12
1986 homelite sxl auto
wright 5020A blade saw

Old Mac Guy
Dr. Pignon

Post by Old Mac Guy » Jun 30th, '11, 04:00

Hello, Matt:
Congratulations on finding one of your g-grampa's saws!!
:thumbs:
Looks like you have got one of the earlier of the ones with a recoil starter... :shock: welded on... There's a thread here in the forum in which Marshall Trover mentions the welded-on recoil starters. You'll find it here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8545&p=65574&hilit=Hornet#p65574
There are also some pix of the Hornet DJ3600 in the Models Library.

Where do you live? The photo looks kinda like SoCal or AZ. You can edit your user profile and add the state and/or town and state.

Where is your grandfather??

I'm sure he can tell us some stories we'd all like to know about.

:sun:

prazerm

Post by prazerm » Jun 30th, '11, 04:45

I actually live in East wenatchee, Washington. The same town DJ Smith moved to and began farming and making custom hunting rifles. My grandfather, Joe, lives 10 minutes from me. He has great stories to tell. I came across some old documents/blueprints and such that I am getting scanned copies of. Including things like contracts with Andreas Stihl when Great Grandpa used to import Stihls. I will get some stuff up here when I get it done if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the info on the recoil starter

BillG
Collector Forum's Finest
Country, City, Area: Midwest USA

Post by BillG » Jun 30th, '11, 06:48

Hello Matt,

I really enjoyed talking with you last week. It was nice to find someone who can talk over the phone and not just through the da'' computer. I am working on what we discussed and I believe I can help you out.

Bill
All pictures and threads posted by me are to remain in the thread in which the are posted unless you ask first. This includes "clones" It is simple just ask

Magnus
Administrator
Country, City, Area: Sweden, Kristianstad

Post by Magnus » Jun 30th, '11, 07:04

Welcome to forum, Matt!

I really enjoyed to see you register and was hoping to see you post so we could get to know you a bit and see what you found so far.

Collecting saws is different to all as I believe you find out more and more.
I hope you like it here and see we are a bunch of saw crazy guy's that love all details regarding the saws.

As this is a international forum it gives a unique oppertunety for all interested all over the world to communicate and learn. A lot more can come out of this.

I would really love to know more and find more parts to the puzzle we call chainsaw history. Your great grand father left a great impression and leave us searching for details and lots of interesting saws.

I know there was some contact between him and a man here in Sweden named Gustav Holm. He made the Be-Bo saw here after the Hornet saw was made. It would be great to know more of this.
There was a early model advertised here that was called "Little Joe". Another saw we know very little of.

I hope you have same interest as us to learn and it will be wonderful to get to know you a bit more....
Post your saws in the models library. More saws makes better library!
If you need help to post please ask, I will happily help.

Magnus
Administrator

Post by Magnus » Jun 30th, '11, 07:12

I put a copy of your post in library and added a link to this thread of discussion.
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=6651&p=110519#p110519

Another thing that would be interesting is to know more of how things worked out when Hornet was sold internationally.
Here in Sweden I think there was more than one importer, but I believe Como M&T Bjerke was the one with most success. They sold the DJ and HJ as far as I know.

robert e malcolm
Collector Forum's Finest
Country, City, Area: usa

Post by robert e malcolm » Jun 30th, '11, 11:45

prezum.....i think its cool you want to preserve your familys acheivements.thats most comendable or should i say rewarding.....i have a couple of these old saws and they are the coolest things to play with.fun to restore.i hope you and gramps have fun redoing it and im sure it will bring back some old memories for him too.he may just want to start collecting them also... :thumbs:
love to hear from other collectors of chainsaws to swap or buy

prazerm

Post by prazerm » Jul 1st, '11, 03:31

Hey guys, I found some chain for the saw....I think. I read that it takes a 9/16 chain. I am attaching pictures of some 9/16 that I found for sale. The guy has 200 D/L of it. and it is all or nothing.
Attachments
chain 001.jpg

prazerna
Country, City, Area: usa

Post by prazerna » Aug 17th, '11, 05:08

Hello everybody,
I am Matts brother Nick. We have been working on this chainsaw stuff for a while. Magnus Here is the little joe. I think.
Nick
Attachments
Save00071.JPG
Save00081.JPG
Save00141.JPG
Save00151.JPG

Magnus
Administrator

Post by Magnus » Aug 17th, '11, 09:16

That is the one! I haven't seen any in any here yet, but I think there must be one or two at the very least...

Old Mac Guy
Dr. Pignon

Post by Old Mac Guy » Aug 17th, '11, 16:49

:shock: :shock:

Wow!!

Who made the Little Joe??
Are any known to be in existence today??

Magnus
Administrator

Post by Magnus » Aug 17th, '11, 17:02

It is Hornet (DJ Smith) made, sold here as Hornet Little Joe.

Magnus
Administrator

Post by Magnus » Aug 17th, '11, 17:06

Sweden Ad's.

husqman

Post by husqman » Feb 1st, '13, 02:33

very cool info, yes yours is early version of dj3500 model, I have wrap the rope dj3500 hornet, I am looking for pictures or info of a hornet bow chainsaw.