Welding Magnesium alloy.

No ad's or money talk, just fun!
chy_farm
Collector Forum's Finest
Country, City, Area: JAPAN

Re: Welding Magnesium alloy.

Post by chy_farm » Sep 26th, '17, 05:40

Of cause not very good for a welding job, but did understand welding mag is not very hard thing to challenge.
The most hard thing to do today was a mismanagement on heat control, which was happened to the upper front end of the cover where spike holes are.
McCulloch_300_Cover_0014.JPG
McCulloch_300_Cover_0015.JPG
The thickness of this part of the cover is small, so I though I needed some backing plate to prevent the wall from melted down. But actually this went at all anything better than nothing! Believe nor not, I did not think of this 'accident' at all, but it happened.
McCulloch_300_Cover_0016.JPG
See the corner was melted off. IMO the heat accumulated by the backing steel plate raised beyond the melting temperature of mag. Actually after this I removed this cooling plate off and tried again, and got it!!
Some presumption to this mismanagement is that I should have used other metals for this backing heat sink, like copper or aluminium which has bigger heat conductivity than steel. Thinking of tips from Roger, that he used copper heat sink...
And the size of the heat sink may affect the results though.
Now only one thing I have to do is filling this part with some mag filler rod.
McCulloch_300_Cover_0017.JPG
McCulloch_300_Cover_0018.JPG
Not beautiful at all but after some grinding it got better cosmetic view.
McCulloch_300_Cover_0021.JPG
Chy
ImageMcCulloch 47
An orchestra can not stand only with contrabass, bassoon, trombone, but does with violin, clarinet and cornet, sometimes accompanied by a tiny triangle.

Mag Craft
Country, City, Area: USA

Post by Mag Craft » Sep 27th, '17, 14:29

I believe you are getting the hang of it there Chy. Good job. If you have access to a sand blaster I would use that it will get the area cleaner.

I know I went through the same learning curve.

chy_farm
Collector Forum's Finest

Post by chy_farm » Sep 28th, '17, 01:28

Mag Craft wrote:
Sep 27th, '17, 14:29
I believe you are getting the hang of it there Chy. Good job. If you have access to a sand blaster I would use that it will get the area cleaner.
I know I went through the same learning curve.
Good morning Roger, your words gave me a light to show the next door I should open in this darkness of mag welding! Thanks again.

I also should really appreciate it that Geoff have started this thread for mag welding some six years ago here, many pics in the past posts help me a lot.

Chy
ImageMcCulloch 47
An orchestra can not stand only with contrabass, bassoon, trombone, but does with violin, clarinet and cornet, sometimes accompanied by a tiny triangle.

Mag Craft

Post by Mag Craft » Sep 28th, '17, 02:15

Wow 6 years ago already.

chy_farm
Collector Forum's Finest

Post by chy_farm » Sep 28th, '17, 02:33

Mag Craft wrote:
Sep 28th, '17, 02:15
Wow 6 years ago already.
Yes it's really wow, Roger.
And,,, I would not mind seeing a lot of great progress you have made for this six years, and a lot of artistic welding works please!! :thumbs:
Chy
ImageMcCulloch 47

Mag Craft

Post by Mag Craft » Sep 28th, '17, 02:39

I know you have probably seen this before Chy but I wanted to point out one thing when welding up a piece that has to match perfect to another piece. Always make sure you have the whole assembly and that you have it put together when welding it. If you try to just put the pieces together by aligning the breaks you will never get it quite right. I know I have tried and had to cut the piece I just got through welding together in half again to get it to align correctly.

ON this saw the two handle halves were in place so that it could be welded to keep the alignment perfect.
IMG_0793.JPG
IMG_0795.JPG
IMG_0796.JPG

chy_farm
Collector Forum's Finest

Post by chy_farm » Sep 28th, '17, 04:15

Mag Craft wrote:
Sep 28th, '17, 02:39
I know you have probably seen this before Chy but I wanted to point out one thing when welding up a piece that has to match perfect to another piece. Always make sure you have the whole assembly and that you have it put together when welding it. If you try to just put the pieces together by aligning the breaks you will never get it quite right. I know I have tried and had to cut the piece I just got through welding together in half again to get it to align correctly.
ON this saw the two handle halves were in place so that it could be welded to keep the alignment perfect.
No not seen yet Roger, wonderful job you did on the saw.
Holding more than a couple of parts in the right place is another theme to me too, it always is a mess to me to find better angles for multiple parts in better positions :lol: .
Think it's a good time for me to make several sets of holders, but yet have better ideas for them.....

Mag Craft wrote:
Sep 27th, '17, 14:29
----------If you have access to a sand blaster I would use that it will get the area cleaner. -----------
Yes I definitely agree. Actually I tried mag welding on a oily part of the clutch cover which I have posted the day before yesterday here, this place was one of the corners for chain tensioner holder. I did ground the dirt with file but it seems that they were not perfectly got rid of, and failed to make a better mag welding at all.
Even though I made some cuts with a carbide mill just after I tried this poor challenge, it was too late!
Probably these oily dirt must have been blasted off with glass sand before I started it....

So now I am wanting to find some nice glass beads for the preparation, but wonder what is the better gauges of glass beads?
Wonder if #300 (which is a gauge for the size of the beads around 90μ~45μ) works good?
ImageMcCulloch 47

Mag Craft

Post by Mag Craft » Sep 28th, '17, 04:28

I am not familiar with the size you have posted but anything that is of fine grit will work good. It will get into the small cracks that way.

chy_farm
Collector Forum's Finest

Post by chy_farm » Sep 28th, '17, 04:30

Mag Craft wrote:
Sep 28th, '17, 04:28
I am not familiar with the size you have posted but anything that is of fine grit will work good. It will get into the small cracks that way.
Thanks Roger, will try out one of them.
Chy
ImageMcCulloch 47

chy_farm
Collector Forum's Finest

Post by chy_farm » Sep 29th, '17, 01:14

Mag Craft wrote:
Sep 28th, '17, 02:39
I know you have probably seen this before Chy but I wanted to point out one thing when welding up a piece that has to match perfect to another piece. Always make sure -----------------
Good morning Roger, it's a shame that I forgot my own reply to your post in the other site on July 18, 2017. I posted I did not see this previously but you are right I did watched this fine work you have done on Homelite. This morning I made a visit to the past posts and found I did it.
Chy
ImageMcCulloch 47